Uptrend Tax FAQ

Find answers to frequently asked questions about taxes from Uptrend Tax FAQ.

Individual Therapy

Why should I choose Uptrend Tax over other tax preparation providers?

We take great pride in providing a service that is above our competitors. Uptrend Tax, LLC is a nationwide IRS-approved e-file provider and also a full-service tax preparation and planning firm. Our tax experts will work with you and answer your tax questions before, during, and after your return is prepared. With an account that is personalized to you, we do our best to make your tax filing procedure as simple as possible for you. 

How long do you keep my filed tax information on file?

We keep your information for as long as your account is active or as long as we require it to provide you with services. We may keep or use your information to comply with our rules, legal responsibilities, settle disputes and enforce our agreements. The IRS requires that we keep filing tax returns for at least three years.

If you begin but do not finish a tax return in one of our online tax applications, we will store the tax return information you give until the end of the tax season, at which point it will be erased from our system.

What documents or information might I require to prepare my tax return?

  • Valid Identification
  • All tax forms you’ve received (including Forms W-2, 1042-S and/or 1099, etc.)
  • Visa / Immigration Status information, including Form DS-2019
  • Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Couples & Group Therapy

Why Should I Hire a Tax Preparer?

According to the IRS, nearly 90% of U.S. taxpayers pay a professional or use software to file. Not only are we prepared, trained, and licensed to handle complex tax situations, but we also only use the most advanced tax tools and software to ensure that your information is protected and that there are no errors in your tax filing and preparation.

What's the difference between a form W-2 and a Form 1099-MISC or Form 1099-NEC?

Although these forms are called information returns, they serve different functions.

Employers use Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement to:

  • Report wages, tips, and other compensation paid to an employee.
  • Report the employee’s income and social security taxes withheld and other information.

Employers furnish the Form W-2 to the employee and the Social Security Administration. The Social Security Administration shares the information with the Internal Revenue Service.

Payers use Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Information or Form 1099-NEC, Nonemployee Compensation to:

  • Report payments made of at least $600 in the course of a trade or business to a person who’s not an employee for services (Form 1099-NEC).
  • Report payments of $10 or more made in the course of a trade or business in gross royalties or payments of $600 or more made in the course of a trade or business in rents or for other specified purposes (Form 1099-MISC).
  • Report payment information to the IRS and the person or business that received the payment.

Can bookkeeping be done remotely?

Absolutely! Today’s cloud accounting features were created to make life easier. Your bookkeeper can manage your books remotely, but you can also access your own real-time data, financial statistics, and reports. You will always have access to the information you need to make business decisions on the go from anywhere, at any time, and on any device. 

Is a bookkeeper required if I have an accountant? What's the difference between the two?

Contrary to popular assumptions, accountants and bookkeepers perform distinct functions for the companies they service. Bookkeepers are in charge of maintaining their clients’ general ledgers on an ongoing basis. The following are the most typical roles of a bookkeeper:


  • Data collection on a daily basis
  • Expense categorization in the general ledger
  • Checking the general ledger to ensure its accuracy
  • Reconciliation of bank statements with the general ledger
  • Generating financial statements

Accountants use the bookkeeper’s accurate and up-to-date general ledger to give advice services such as:

  • Examining the financial data of the company
  • Income Tax Return Preparation
  • Providing tax planning guidance

How do I get support?

We’d love to hear from you! At Uptrend Tax, we aim to ensure that our clients receive the assistance and support they need throughout the process. You can reach us by phone at (833) 425-0355 or by email at info@uptrendtax.com.

Contact Us

Ask a question or book an appointment below. For immediate concern, please call (833) 425-0355

(833) 425-0355

2945 W. Cypress Creek Road Suite 105 Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309


Ready to Get Started on your Taxes Today?

Coronavirus Paid Leave Tax Credits for Self-Employed Workers is Here. Apply for Self Sick Credit Now.